Andrea Gargas received her PhD in John Taylor's lab in December of 1993. After graduating from Berkeley, she worked as a postdoc at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington DC with Paula DePriest, where she was studying the systematics, chemotaxonomy, and molecular evolution of lichens, especially the Cladoniaceae of South America and Africa and molecular-genetic variation in natural populations.
In 1996 Andrea accepted a position as an associate professor of Mycology at the University of Copenhagen in Denmark, where she worked until December of 1998. From 1999 to 2007, Andrea was a professor of Botany at the University of Wisconsin in Madison. Currently she is the director of Symbiology, Inc. in Middletown, Wisconsin.
- Landis, F. C., Gargas, A. and Givnish, T. J. 2004. Relationships among arbuscular mycorrhizal fungi, vascular plants and environmental conditions in oak savannas (vol 164, pg 493, 2004). - New Phytologist 164: 555.
- Sun, H.J., P.T. Depriest, A. Gargas, A.Y. Rossman, and E.I. Friedmann. 2002. Pestalotiopsis maculans: A dominant parasymbiont in North American lichens. Symbiosis 33:215-226.
- Paula T. DePriest, Natalia V. Ivanova, Dianne Fahselt, Vagn Alstrup and Andrea Gargas. 2000. Sequences of psychrophilic fungi amplified from glacier-preserved ascolichens. Canadian Journal of Botany 78: 1450-1459.
- Jensen, A. B., A. Gargas, et al. 1998. Relationships of the insect-pathogenic order entomophthorales (Zygomycota, Fungi) based on phylogenetic analyses of nuclear small subunit ribosomal DNA sequences (SSU rDNA). Fungal Genetics and Biology 24(3): 325-334.
- Wedin, M., A. Tehler, Gargas, A. 1998. Phylogenetic relationships of Sphaerophoraceae (Ascomycetes) inferred from SSU rDNA sequences. Plant Systematics and Evolution 209(1-2): 75-83.
- Gargas, A. Origins of lichen associations: Parsimony and maximum likelihood analyses of two data sets. (Meeting of the Botanical Society of America and the Canadian Botanical Association/Association Botanique du Canada,... American Journal of Botany, v.84, n.6 SUPPL., (1997): 9-10.
- Depriest, P T; Stenroos, S; Ivanova, N; Gargas, A. Polyphyletic origins of the lichen association in the fungi: Phylogenetic analyses of nuclear small subunit ribosomal DNA sequences. (Meeting of the Botanical Society of America and the Canadian. American Journal of Botany, v.84, n.6 SUPPL., (1997): 9.
- Gargas, A., and P.T. DePriest. 1996. A nomenclature for fungal PCR primers with examples from intron-containing SSU rDNA. Mycologia 88: 745-748.
- Grube, M., A. Gargas and P.T. DePriest. 1996. A small insertion in the SSU rDNA of the lichen fungus Arthonia lapidicola as a degenerate group I intron. Current Genetics 29: 582-586.
- Gargas, A., P.T. DePriest, M. Grube and A. Tehler. 1995. Multiple origins of lichen symbioses in fungi suggested by SSU rDNA phylogeny. Science (cover article) 268: 1492-1495.
- Gargas, A., P.T. DePriest, and J.W. Taylor. 1995. Positions of multiple insertions in SSU rDNA of lichen-forming fungi. Molecular Biology and Evolution 12: 208-218.
- Gargas, A., and J.W. Taylor. 1995. Phylogeny of discomycetes and early radiation of the apothecial ascomycetes inferred from SSU rDNA sequence data. Experimental Mycology 19: 7-15.
- Grube, M., P.T. DePriest, A. Gargas, J. Hafellner. 1995. DNA isolation from lichen ascomata. Mycological Research 99: 1321-1324.
- Saenz, G.S., A. Gargas, and J.W. Taylor. 1994. 18S rRNA gene sequences and supraordinal classification of the Erysiphales. Mycologia 86: 212-216.
- Landvik, S., O. Eriksson, A. Gargas, and P. Gustafsson. Relationships of the genus Neolecta (Neolectales ordo nov. Ascomycotina), inferred from 18S rDNA sequences. Systema Ascomycetum 11: 107-115.
- Gargas, A., and J.W. Taylor. 1992. Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) primers for amplifying and sequencing 18S rDNA from lichenized fungi. Mycologia 84: 589-592.