Eric received his PhD under John Taylor's supervision in 1994. Eric was a graduate student in John's lab from 1989 to 1994. Eric is interested in basidiomycete systematics, and in particular, that of the rust fungi. After graduating from Berkeley, Eric worked as a post doc in David McLaughlin's lab at the University of Minnesota.
After his post doc, Eric was the midwest regional microbiology manager at EMSL Analytical, Inc. in Minneapolis for a number of years.
- Swann, E. C., E. M. Frieders and D. J. McLaughlin. 1999. Microbotryum, Kriegeria and the changing paradigm in basidiomycete classification. Mycologia 91(1): 51-66.
- Frieders, E. M., E. C. Swann, et al. 1996. A new paradigm in basidiomycete classification as illustrated by the enigmatic sedge parasite Kriegeria eriophori. American Journal of Botany 83(6 SUPPL.): 104.
- Swann, E C; Taylor, J W. 1995. Toward a phylogenetic systematics of the basidiomycota: Integrating yeasts and filamentous basidiomycetes using 18S RRNA gene sequences. Studies in Mycology, n.38, (1995): 147-161.
- Kwong-Chung, K. J., Chang, Y. C., Bauer, R., Swann, E. C., Taylor, J. W. and Goel, R. 1995. The characteristics that differentiate Filobasidiella depauperata from Filobasidiella neoformans. Studies in Mycology(38): 67- 79.
- Swann, E C; Taylor, J W. 1995. Phylogenetic perspectives on basidiomycete systematics: Evidence from the 18S rRNA gene. Canadian Journal of Botany, v.73, n.SUPPL. 1 SECT. E-H, (1995): S862-S868
- Swann, E C; Taylor, J W. 1995. Phylogenetic diversity of yeast-producing basidiomycetes. Mycological Research, v.99, n.10, (1995): 1205-1210.
- Taylor, J. W. and E. C. Swann. 1994. Dried samples: Soft tissues: DNA from herbarium specimens. Ancient DNA: Recovery and analysis of genetic material from paleontological, archaelogical, museum, medical, and forensic specimens. B. Herrmann and S. Hummel. New York, New York, USA; Berlin, Germany, Springer-Verlag New York, Inc.: 166-181.
- Swann, E.C. and J.W. Taylor. 1993. Higher taxa of basidiomycetes: an 18S rRNA gene perspective. Mycologia 85:923-936.