Greg received his doctoral degree from UC Berkeley in July of 1997, working on the phylogeny of the Erysiphales (powdery mildews), the black mildew fungus Meliola and Meliolina. The title of his thesis (view abstract) was "Phylogeny of the Erysiphales (powdery mildews), Meliola (black mildews), and Meliolina inferred from ribosomal DNA". In September of 1997, Greg accepted a post doc position in Don Natvig's lab at the University of New Mexico to work on the population biology of Neurospora tetrasperma. Greg left New Mexico in 2000 and is currently working for the Syngenta Agricultual Discovery Institute in San Diego.
For access to the small subunit data set, click here for a text only version or a paup version of the file. This data set includes 33 ascomycetes plus two species of Meliola and one species of Meliolina. This manuscript has been submitted for publication.
For access to the Erysiphales ITS data set, click here for a text only version or a paup version of the file. This data set includes 15 morphological characters, plus ITS sequence for 43 powdery mildews that Greg sequenced, plus two powdery mildew sequences provide by Lynne Reuber (E. orontii) and John Turner (E. cruciferarum), and two outgroup species (Phialophora and Phialocephala). This manuscript has been submitted for publication.
One applied aspect of Greg's work is the identification of new powdery mildew diseases found on new hosts here in California. Greg has collaborated with Steve Koike, a plant pathologist/farm advisor for Monterey and Santa Cruz counties. Together they have published, have in press, and submitted, a total of seven disease notes.
- David J. Jacobson, Amy J. Powell, Jeremy R. Dettman, Gregory S. Saenz, Magdalen M. Barton, Megan D. Hiltz, William H. Dvorachek, Jr., N. Louise Glass, John W. Taylor and Donald O. Natvig. 2004. Neurospora in temperate forests of western North America. Mycologia 96(1): 66-74.
- Gregory S. Saenz, John G. Stam, David J. Jacobson and Donald O. Natvig. 2001. Heteroallelism at the het-c locus contributes to sexual dysfunction in outcrossed strains of Neurospora tetrasperma. Fungal Genetics and Biology 34(2): 123-229.
- Laura E. Bean, William H. Dvorachek, Jr., Edward L. Braun, Allison Erretta, Gregory S. Saenz, Mara D. Giles, Margaret Werner-Washburne, Mary Anne Nelson and Donald O. Natvig. 2001. Analysis of the pdx-1 (snz-1/sno-1) region of the Neurospora crassa genome: Correlation of pyridoxine-requiring phenotypes with mutations in two structural genes. Genetics 157(3): 1067-1075.
- Adam, L., S. Ellwood, I. Wilson, G. Saenz, S. Xiao, R. P. Oliver, J. G. Turner, and S. Somerville. 1999. Comparison of Erysiphe cichoracearum and E-cruciferarum and a survey of 360 Arabidopsis thaliana accessions for resistance to these two powdery mildew pathogens. Molecular Plant-Microbe Interactions, 12:1031-1043.
- Saenz, G. S. and Taylor, J. W. 1999. Phylogenetic relationships of Meliola and Meliolina inferred from nuclear small subunit rRNA sequences. Mycological Research, volume 103 (8) August 1999: 1049-1056.
- Koike, S. T. and G. S. Saenz. 1999. Powdery mildew of spearmint caused by Erysiphe orontii in California. Plant Disease 83(4): 399.
- Saenz, G. S. and J. W. Taylor. 1999. Phylogeny of the Erysiphales (powdery mildews) inferred from internal transcribed spacer ribosomal DNA sequences. Canadian Journal of Botany 77(1): 150-168.
- Koike, S. T. and G. S. Saenz. 1998. First report of powdery mildew, caused by an Oidium sp., on poinsettia in California. Plant Disease 82(1): 128.
- Saenz, G. S. and S. T. Koike. 1998. First report of powdery mildew caused by Oidium araliacearum on ivy on California. Plant Disease 82(1): 127.
- Koike, S T; Saenz, G S. 1997. First report of powdery mildew caused by Erysiphe heraclei on celery in North America. Plant Disease, v.81, n.2, (1997): 231.
- Koike, S T; Saenz, G S. 1996. Occurrence of powdery mildew, caused by Erysiphe cichoracearum, on endive and radicchio in California. Plant Disease, v.80, n.9, (1996): 1080.
- Saenz, G S; Koike, S T; Tjosvold, S A; Greene, I D. 1995. First report of powdery mildew on carnation in California. Plant Disease, v.79, n.3, (1995): 320.
- Koike, S T; Saenz, G S. 1994. Occurrence of Powdery Mildew on Parsley in California. Plant Disease, v.78, n.12, (1994): 1219.
- Saenz, G.S., Taylor, J.W., and Gargas, A. 1994. 18S rRNA gene sequences and supraordinal classification of the Erysiphales. Mycologia 86:212-216.