Tim Szaro, lab manager of the Bruns and Taylor Labs, retired from UC Berkeley at the end of June 2014.
Tim held the lab manager post for 25 years and trained approximately 150 post docs, graduate and undergraduate students in the modern molecular methods used in the two fungal labs. He has overseen the revolution in the scientific analysis of fungi, supervising the installation of several generations of DNA identification technologies. In addition, he has hosted numerous qualifying exam celebrations, and has purchased over two thousand oysters for the famous Limantour Beach picnics.
Tim received his BS in Biology from Stanford in 1977 and his MA in Botany from Berkeley in 1979. Tim and his husband of 23 years, Adam Richmond, live in San Francisco. Tim's first major trip after retiring from UC Berkeley was a hiking trek to the Dolomites in August of 2014, followed by Peru and the Galapagos in September and lastly, a trip to Mozambique, Swaziland and South Africa in Janurary of 2015.
- Prachand Shrestha, Ana Ibanez, Stefan Bauer, Sydney Glassman, Timothy M. Szaro, Thomas D. Bruns and John W. Taylor. 2015. Fungi isolated from Miscanthus and sugarcane: biomass conversion, fungal enzymes and hydrolysis of plant cell wall polymers. Biotechnology for Biofuels. doi: 10.1186/s13068-015-0221-3.
- Prachand Shrestha, Timothy M. Szaro, Thomas D. Bruns and John W. Taylor. 2011. Systematic search for cultivatable fungi that best deconstruct cell walls of Miscanthus and sugarcane in the field. Applied Environmental Microbiology 77(15): 5490-5504. doi: 10.1128/AEM.02996-10.
- Clare H. Robinson, Timothy M. Szaro, Antonio D. Izzo, Ian C. Anderson, Pamela I. Parkin, Thomas D. Bruns. 2009. Spatial distribution of fungal communities in a coastal grassland soil. Soil Biology and Biochemistry 41: 414-416.
- Brenda D. Wingfield, Lars Ericson, Timothy Szaro and Jeremy J. Burdon. 2004. Phylogenetic patterns in the Uredinales. Australasian Plant Pathology 33: 327-335.
- Birgitte Andersen, Kristian F. Nielsen, Ulf Thrane, Tim Szaro, John Taylor and Bruce B. Jarvis. 2003. Molecular and phenotypic descriptions of Stachybotrys chlorohalonata sp. nov. and two chemotypes of Stachybotrys chartarum found in water-damaged buildings. Mycologia 95: 1227-1238.
- D. Lee Taylor, Thomas D. Bruns, Timothy M. Szaro, and Scott A. Hodges. 2003. Divergence in mycorrhizal specialization within Hexalectris spicata, a nonphotosynthetic desert orchid. American Journal of Botany 90: 1168-1179.
- Tom Bruns, Jenny Tan, Tim Szaro, Martin Bidartondo and Dirk Redecker. 2002. Survival of Suillus pungens and Amanita francheti ectomycorrhizal genets was rare or absent after a stand-replacing wildfire. New Phytologist 155(3): 517-523.
- Thomas D. Bruns, Annette M. Kretzer, Thomas R. Horton, Eric A-D. Stendell, Martin I. Bidartondo and Timothy M. Szaro. 2002. Current investigations of fungal ectomycorrhizal communities in the Sierra national forest. USDA Forest Service Gen. Tech. Rep. PSW-GTR-183: 83-89.
- Vassiliki Koufopanou, Austin Burt, Timothy Szaro and John W. Taylor. 2001. Gene genealogies, cryptic species, and molecular evolution in the human pathogen Coccidioides immitis and relatives (Ascomycota, Onygenales). Molecular Biology and Evolution 18: 1246-1258.
- D. Redecker, T. M. Szaro, R. J. Bowman & T. D. Bruns. 2001. Small genets of Lactarius xanthogalactus, Russula cremoricolor and Amanita francheti in late-stage ectomycorrhizal successions. Molecular Ecology 10(4): 1025-1034.
- Annette M. Kretzer, Martin I. Bidartondo, Lisa Grubisha, Joseph W. Spatafora, Timothy M. Szaro and Thomas D. Bruns. 2000. Regional specialization of Sarcodes sanguinea (Ericaceae) on a single fungal symbiont from the Rhizopogon ellenae (Rhizopogonaceae) species complex. American Journal of Botany 87(12): 1778-1782.
- Roy, B. A., Vogler, D. R., Bruns, T. D. and Szaro, T. M. 1998. Cryptic species in the Puccinia monoica complex. Mycologia 90(5): 847-854.
- T.D. Bruns, T.M. Szaro, M. Gardes, K.W. Cullings, J.J. Pan, D.L. Taylor, T.R. Horton, A. Kretzer, M. Garbelotto and Y. Li. 1998. A sequence database for the identification of ectomycorrhizal Basidiomycetes by phylogenetic analysis. Molecular Ecology, v.7, n.3, (1998): 257-272.
- Kretzer, A., Li, Y., Szaro, T.M., Bruns, T.D. 1996. Internal transcribed spacer sequences from 38 recognized species of Suillus senu lato: Phylogenetic and taxonomic implications. Mycologia 88(5): 776-785. Suillus ITS Paup file used in Kretzer (1996) et. al. paper. Click here for a text only version of the file.
- Cullings, K. W., Szaro, T. M., and Bruns, T. D. 1996. Evolution of extreme specialization within a lineage of ectomycorrhizal epiparasites. Nature 379(6560): 63-66.
- Michaels, H. J., Scott, K. M., Olmstead, R. G., Szaro, T. M., Jansen, R. K. and Palmer, J. D. 1993. Interfamilial Relationships of the Asteraceae: Insights from rbcL Sequence Variation. Annals of the Missouri Botanical Garden 80(3): 742-751.
- Bruns, T. D., R. Vilgalys, S. M. Barns, D. Gonzalez, D. S. Hibbett, D. J. Lane, L. Simon, S. Stickel, T. M. Szaro, W. G. Weisburg and M. L. Sogin. 1992. Evolutionary relationships within the Fungi: analyses of nuclear small subunit rRNA sequences. Molecular Phylogenetics & Evolution 9(3): 231-241.
- Bruns, T. D. and Szaro, T. M. 1992. Rate and mode differences between nuclear and mitochondrial small rRNA genes in mushrooms. Molecular Biology & Evolution V9, N5:836-855
- Baura, G., Szaro, T. M. and Bruns, T. D. 1992. Gastroboletus laricinus is a recent derivative of Suillus grevillei. Mycologia 84:592-597.
- Kretzer, A., Li, Y., Szaro, T. and Bruns, T. D. 1995. Phylogeny of Suillus as inferred by ITS sequence data. Inoculum Newsletter of the Mycological Society of America 46(3): 24.
- Swann, E. C., Szaro, T. M. and Bruns, T. D. 1994. Evolution within the Uredinales: evidence from the 18S and 28S rRNA genes. Fifth International Mycological Congress Abstracts. Vancouver, British Columbia. August 14-21, 1994. p23.
- Burda Wilkin, S., Szaro, T. and Bruns, T. 1994. Molecular systematic study of genus Melampsora. Fifth International Mycological Congress Abstracts. Vancouver, British Columbia. August 14-21, 1994. p25.
- Cullings, K.W., T. Szaro, and T.D. Bruns. 1993. Co-evolution of the Monotropoideae and their mycorrhizal associates: a test of Farenholz's role. Abstract Ninth NACOM.
- Bruns, T. D. and Szaro, T. M. 1992. Evolutionary relationships within the rusts: evidence from the 18S rRNA gene. Inoculum Newsletter of the Mycological Society of America 43:27.
- Baura, G., Szaro, T. M. and Bruns, T. D. 1992. Gastroboletus laricinus is a recent derivative of Suillus grevillei: molecular evidence. Mycological Society of America Newsletter 42:5.
- Bruns, T.D., Cullings, K.W., and Szaro, T. 1991. Pine drops, Pterospora andromedea, is specifically associated with Rhizopogon or a closely related taxon over a broad geographic range. Mycological Society of America Newsletter 42(1):8.
- Bruns, T.D.,and Szaro, T.M. 1990. Phylogenetic relationships within the Boletales: molecular perspectives. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Mycological Congress, IMC 4. Regensburg, Germany (F.R.G.). August 28 - September 3, 1990.
- Bruns, T.D.,and Szaro, T.M. 1990. Evolution of mitochondrial DNA within an order of fungi: new perspectives and potentials. In: Proceedings of the Fourth International Congress of Systematic and Evolutionary Biology. University of Maryland, College Park,Maryland. July 1-7, 1990.
- Bruns, T.D., Szaro, T.M. and Cullings, K.W. 1990. Molecular perspectives on the evolution and ecology of the boletes and their relatives. In: Proceedings of the Eighth North American Conference on Mycorrhizae. Jackson, Wyoming. September 5-8, 1990.